Saturday, December 6, 2008

JPEG support in daedalus

Wally told me that the green room in Zelda:OoT is due to lack of support of jpeg. So I decide to take a quick look if I can port the jpeg task support from Mupen64.

Giving some tech background. In N64, the secondary CPU is called RSP. Daedalus emulate RSP in high level. There are several type of tasks which is running in RSP. Two of them are very famous, DList (display list) and AList (audio list). It is supported by daedalus now, so we can see the graphics and hear the audio. There are other 2 types VidTask and JpegTask is not supported yet. JpgTask is used to decode a jpg data into a picture. Lack of this support, the zelda's room will be green.

I ported the code which is pretty straightforward. I tested in PC version of daedalus. Seems everything works well. I don't have a green room anymore. However when I run PSP version, I still get the green room. I don't have enough knowledge to track graphics issue. I suppose there is something missing in our graphics support.

So, in short, I still didn't get rid of green room although I ported jpeg support code.

1 comment:

Dani said...

Hi.Psp has jpeg hardware decompression.It is not well knowledge about how it works.it seems it use the me as director and process on a dedicated unit.
the problem would be how to set me to process both hardware decompresion and go on processing data